Sunday, July 8, 2012

My Plan of Attack: Reading


Reading:  (25-30 minutes) The district endorses Scott Foresman's Reading Street.  After getting to use it for a few months last  year, I was not impressed.  There were a multitude of reasons, but the bottom line is that I'm not a fan of basals.  I want real-life books in my kiddos hands.  Whole group reading, in my opinion, is the time to teach kiddos the strategies and concepts, not a time to teach everyone to read the same story.  That's memorization in my opinion, not reading.  Anywho, I chose to take a more direct approach and teach each concept for 4-5 weeks. Our units will include: Reading Strategies, Literary Elements, Main Idea and Details, Sequencing, Compare and Contrast, Cause and Effect, and Text Features.

No comments:

Post a Comment