Friday, August 10, 2012

Centers with a Freebie!

Everyone has their own management style for centers.   You have to figure out what works best for you and your kiddos.  A lot of people use pocket charts, but I do not have a lot of room to hang yet another chart.  I also don't want to have to switch cards around everyday so that everyone gets to go to a different center.  My co-op used a center map and I grew fond of this technique.  The kiddo follows the pictures in order going down each column depending on the day of the week.  I like my centers very orderly so we will all be cleaning up and moving at the same time.

Typically you would have a kiddo's name at the top.  I chose to come up with a numbering system instead.  This way when I have kiddos move or get a new student I don't have to print a new map.  The numbering system works like this:  The number represents what group they are in and the letter designates who it is.  I only wanted 5 kiddos in a group and I only wanted to see 5 groups in a day.  My maps are labeled 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 2A, 2B, 2C, etc.  If I need to switch two kiddos around in a group then I can have them switch maps.  I also made signs to label my centers in my room.  The pictures all match.  This also gives me options as to what to include in my centers.  Technology for instance, has both computers and Leap Frogs.  At the library center they can read a book or listen to a book.  At the beginning of the year, they will only have one choice, but I wanted to options later on.


You can click on the signs and get them as a freebie on TPT!  You can also click on my center maps and pick them up at TPT as well.  I would be more than happy to customize the center maps for you as well for no extra charge.  Just shoot me an email and let me know what you need.

Sample Center Sign:

Sample Center Map:
In this sample, this map is for someone in my first guided reading group which is why you see a table in the first box each day.  The last box is for seat work which is their sight word packet that I made.  I wanted to make sure they were practicing their sight words every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment