Friday, April 12, 2013

Indoor Recess Bliss

I may teach first grade, but our lives are still impacted by state testing.  Our gym/music schedule got flip-flopped for the next two weeks, which means ours is now in the morning.  This also means that we get 3 hours of non-stop quality time with our darlings in the afternoon.  That is a looooooooooooong time to be stuck in our rooms.  My kiddos do their best work in the morning, that's how I get so much out of reading and math centers.  Did I mention a storm rolled through Monday and it has been raining and cold ever since?    This adds to the dilemma because we have had indoor recess.  There are less than 30 days of school left, our kiddos are done, and now you expect us to be locked in our rooms?!!!  No thank you!

Pinterest to the rescue!  I found Adventure to Fitness.  It is free to sign up and there are dozens of animated videos for the kids to watch and "workout" to.  There is a guy, "Mr. Marc", who is filmed against a green screen navigating through various locations.  The kids have to run, hop, jump, and climb their way through the adventure. The videos are about 30 minutes long and the kids are exhausted when it's over.  Yesterday, we traveled through a volcano and today we were chased by dinosaurs. The best part is that they give facts about the topic along the way.   I didn't allow my kids to get loud, however I'm sure the kindergarten room, below us, didn't appreciate our stomping feet.  Oh well, what are you going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment