Skip to main content

Classroom Tour 2014-2015

Better late than never right?!  I know I have been absent, but starting a new grade has been challenging, to say the least.  I miss my BFF's from my old school.  I love teaching, but I love being a mom more.  I have taken the "no regrets" mindset with The Little Man.  He comes first, everything else will wait.  

Did I mention he hardly naps?  He will nap for 30 minutes at a time normally.  (Even at daycare, even swaddled, even in his swing.  We have tried it all.)  I have learned to become quite efficient around the house.  The dishwasher can be emptied and refilled in less than 5 minutes!  

Here is a classroom tour starting at the door and going clockwise.  My room is TINY!  Especially, with all the kiddos in it.  There is barely any storage, so every nook and cranny is full.  It will get there, but right now it is usable.  I try it out for a while and then change it up every now and then.

The set of shelves was zip-tied to the wall, so they stayed there.  :-)

I don't have nearly as much dry erase board space as I did before so my essential questions are written on laminated sentence strips and I erase the old ones and then write the new ones for the next unit.  The magazine boxes hold my picture books that are organized by Accelerated Reader level.  Our text books. workbooks, and chapter books are on the shelves.  The plastic drawers hold my centers, both math and literacy for the week.  I ask two friends to pass out centers and they pass out whichever set of drawers we need.  It is fast and easy to setup and clean up.

I was supposed to have 26 kiddos, but am down to 21.  Woohoo!  When I walked into this room, none of the desks were the same height, none of the chairs matched, it was a disaster!  Thanks to the my wonderful hubby, he risked life and limb climbing through the storage area to find me desks, chairs, and tables that might work.  My desks are zip-tied together, but my kiddos are busy bodies!  Within an hour, their desks are kitty wompus around the room.  I finally put duct tape on the floor so that they have a point of references as to where they should be.  I know they are third graders and they should be able to handle having a desk, but they can't!  I have their desks turned around backwards and they share tool-kits.  It is one less battle that I have to fight at the end of the day.

The blue words on the word wall are third grade sight words and the green words are some vocabulary words.  I think next year, I will make them all vocabulary words, but it works for now.

Here is my little corner of our world.  There was a giant old wooden desk here which I begged them to make disappear.  It took about a week, but eventually it found a new home.  Once again, the hubby had to risk life and limb to find some book shelve for me.  They are in rough shape, but might meet a paint brush this summer.  I tried to get a kidney bean shaped table, but there weren't any.  My dining room table from college will have to suffice.  (It is a drop leaf table, and drop leaf tables + kiddos = disaster.  Needless to say, my mom reinforced it with metal brackets when she came to visit.)














Here is our carpet area.  I think our room might explode if I didn't let them get up and move.  

Here are our math and reading walls. I use these tables for centers and for my kiddos that require their own space.


So, there you have it.  My little slice of the world.  Slowly, but surely it will become mine.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Engage NY - Devil's Advocate

Engage NY Math is quickly becoming a hot topic across the country. NY Department of Education developed curriculum to support Common Core and published it online for free. Our district has adopted the math portion. I would like to play devil's advocate and see what everyone thinks about Engage. Pros:
~It is free online
~It dives deep into numbers, both composing and decomposing and makes our kiddos think differentlyCons:
~It is only available online which means everything must be printed, no materials can be purchased pre-made
~ Each lesson is an hour long of direct instruction
~ The first grade lessons include a lot of papers, typically three double sided pages each day if you do the homeworkQuestions:
~ Does it say anywhere that it is research based?
~ Why hasn't a publishing company picked it up? Post your thoughts in the comments.

5 Steps To Help You Integrate Art Into Your Classroom

Choose A Time
Choose which subject you would like to integrate art into and what day.  In my classroom, this is Math on Friday.  I am not a "crafty" teacher by nature.  My teaching partners are much better at including art projects into their plans.  I decided on Fridays, after our lesson we would do a math related craft instead of meeting with small groups.  Friday is an easy choice for me because it is jeans day, it's relaxed, and we are wore out from a busy week.


Create A Subject Overview
I created an outline of our math that includes the month and the topic for the week.  This way, I knew that I needed a place value craft for October and a shape craft for December.


Pinterest
Pinterest is your best friend!  I saved ideas that I found to a Pinterest board so that I could reference them later when I was ready to create or download if a template was available.  Think of a variety of terms, to search for and sometimes less specific is better.  Halloween Place Value Crafts m…

More TPT Goodies

Halloween! I have 19 Halloween Math Centers available.  The picture above is a preview.  $1 each or $15 for all 19 centers! (Over 130 Pages!)

Topics Include:
Place Value
Addition
Greater Than/Less Than
Time
Money
Fractions
Ordinal Numbers

First Grade Common Core

Above you will see samples of my Common Core packet.  I have created editable checklists for your classroom, 16 different mini math assessments, and "We Can" signs for all of the Common Core standards. 60+ Pages - $5!
First Grade Homework
This idea was from The Lesson Plan Diva As you will see in her post, she was not able to post her document because her whole team created it.  I saw the picture and ran with it.  32 Weeks of homework.  One page of literacy homework and one page of math homework each week.  Simple, easy to follow format.  65 Pages - $5!
Boggle
It's pretty straight forward.  37 pages - $3
Bump or Roll and Cover
Some people know it as Bump others call it Roll and Cover.  Either way it's a very popu…