First, I made a calendar for the school year with all of our days off blacked out. Then I started plugging in all of my information. This is what I call a "living document". I am constantly tweaking it here and there. (Like when I found out we had guidance one day a week and gifted and talented one day a week, so I could only teach writing three days a week. Then fast forward to the second semester when I found out guidance was only for the first semester and now I can teach writing four days a week.) But seriously, it helps my brain. It makes my brain happy to know what is coming up. I created a row for each subject that I teach and only plug the subjects into the days that I teach them. (Science and social studies don't happen on Mondays and Wednesdays because we have computer lab.) I also included the standard number for math and reading because we only teach one objective a week. (Oklahoma doesn't do Common Core.)
Here is a close up:
I then plan out my unit. I count up how many days I am going to teach a unit and start numbering a sheet of paper. I start at the bottom and work my way up. I want to focus on my end result and then break it down into each step. It looks something like this:
For the record, I only typed it for this blog post. Normally, I grab a piece of paper out of my printer, fold it in half, and start scribbling.