Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Tech Tuesday: Epic Books


Have you heard of Epic?  It is an amazing way to get kiddos excited about reading.  The best part is...it's free for teachers!  Sign up with your school email address and gain access to over 10,000 digital books.  You can even make up to 36 accounts for your students that they can customize with their interests and ability levels.  Take a peek below to see a small sample of what they have to offer.

 Do you see the chapter books?  Did you notice the non-fiction?  What about those classroom favorites like Eric Carle and Click, Clack, Moo?  These aren't just random books that no one has heard of, they are the best of the best.   The curriculum books are a fantastic way to incorporate literacy into every subject.  There are more science and math books than you could ever imagine.


My kiddos have been working on animal brochures on either penguins or polar bears.  I did a quick search, marked all of the books, I thought might work, as favorites and handed the iPads off to small groups.  They were in awe!  Half my groups had books and half had iPads, the next day, they switched.

The other day they asked if I would read Bear in Underwear on the smartboard.  I asked how they knew that Bear in Underwear was available and they said "Well....it is about bears."  How could I be upset?  I also got to introduce them to Scaredy Squirrel and they even bugged the librarian to order some Scaredy Squirrel books for the school.

Click on the Epic logo above to get started!


No comments:

Post a Comment